June 03, 2008

To the North Pole and Back.

On Saturday morning we loaded up the vehicles and drove 350 miles on Highway 3 to North Pole, which is just past Fairbanks, to visit my older brother and his family. This route had us driving through Denali Park.

The Alaskan Railroad

We had a brief stop at the Santa Claus House to say hello to the reindeer.


My brother and his Chesapeake "Turner"


The necessary sky shot through the birch trees, taken on my brother's property.


Sunday afternoon we took Parrin & Sharon's four wheelers down to the river for a picnic. Everyone had an absolute blast on the four wheelers. I even managed to get my brothers new Yamaha high centered on the same berm twice (you'd think once would have been enough).


Yeah, I did that.....




Group Shot






Cooking out after returning from our afternoon at the river


On Monday, we piled back into the vehicles and drove "the long way" on Highway 2 through Summit Lake and Delta Junction. On Highway 4 through Gakona, and Highway 1 through Glennallen, Sutton, and back to Palmer. It added a few more hours to the trip, but we got to enjoy some great scenary and a part of Alaska that I hadn't even seen.

The Alyeska Pipeline




Random Mountain Shots on the side of the road




The view from Summit Lake


Dinner in Glennallen



The Matanuska Glacier

2 comments:

  1. Nice picture of the Matanuska Glacier. I have seen that glacier so many times. I have seen in mostly from the church right that along the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, this was a lucky shot. I took it while driving, looking backward out the window and waiting for a clear shot between oncoming traffic, with my passenger insisting that I watch the road.

    ReplyDelete